School Cancellation Information
In the event of a school cancellation due to a storm, parents and guardians need to remember the following points:
- Ocean View School belongs to the Island View High Family of Schools. If all schools are cancelled, you will hear this on the radio; however, if only certain schools are cancelled, you must listen to hear if the Island View High Family of Schools are cancelled.
- The decision to cancel school will be made as close to 6:00 am as possible and it will be communicated on the radio, the HRCE's website, the main switchboard and through the school cancellation number 902-464-INFO (4636).
- Parents must ensure that students are properly dressed for the weather conditions, regardless of whether they walk or travel by bus.
- Before dropping students off at the school on inclement weather days, parents should ensure that staff have arrived and are immediately available to provide supervision.
- If buses are cancelled and schools are open, parents must use their own discretion with regard to sending their children to school.
- When schools are open, meaningful learning activities will be going on in classrooms.
- Students who are unable to attend due to inclement weather will not be penalized because of assignments given or due on that day.
- In the event of a mid-day cancellation, students will be dismissed at the lunch hour at 11:45 am. No students can be dismissed until their parent/guardian is contacted and this year we will be having staff call all families. Students will remain with their teachers until contact has been made. Emergency Contact Forms go home periodically in the year for families to indicate who the school should call in the event of a noon dismissal.